Friday, February 21, 2020

PAQ Compression Programs


"These PAQ compressors were still being developed in the 1980s when I was in grade school. But it was actually started earlier than that, in the 1970s when I was a really young boy. I co-developed PAQ and ZPAQ. It was our project for the US information theory education materials for the future, funded by us. What happened (the researchers' results) will be part of the history of US information theory, I said. These materials included Data Compression The Complete Reference (Salomon's book), Data Compression Explained and LTCB programs, released only in 2000s. I was running LTCB in the 1970s that some compressors were developed by my aunts or uncles, and really hardcore militaristic people. These programs were just homework assignments for advanced students before in Masbate, Masbate, Philippines. I am thinking DCE and the LTCB compressors were just given again to Matt Mahoney by the government in 2000s and officially launched them, or he already possessed, developed, or added on those materials since the 80s, like some people here (encode.su) owning 1980s compressors but published or released only in 1990s or 2000s. 

We created ZIP format too and video formats such as VCD, SVCD, and DVD. We wrote and scheduled comp.compression FAQ. I dictated and moderated as well in data encryption, approving DES and AES, both I know from the 1970s. That's during Martial Law Cold War Philippines, the Philippines still occupied by Americans that time.

My memories are a little foggy but if I hear my voice in the official songs of Bread, Nirvana, America, Queen and Scorpions etc, they just reinforce my belief in my computer science memories. -- Gerald"


But I remember this the classified top secret part of 1970s to 80s Martial Law Cold War when the Americans were here in the Philippines. It was me a kind of "central hub" among scientist networks that time (so I learned from many, and privy to state of the art science and technologies that time), dictating on what-would-be computer science history for the 80s, 90s and 2000s (e.g. in data compression and encryption, IBM PC, Intel, AMD and Microsoft Windows dominance etc.). Just think of me then as a top military analyst. I mean, I wasn't just a player on all this; it was me moderating on everything tech. I knew I already co-own Apple and Microsoft. I guess I decided to officially be co-founder of Yahoo, Google and Facebook, but didn't happen officially in the 1990s and 2000s. There was "too much fierce" competition amongst tech companies. I mean, it was Cold War, a real war. The Cold War officially ended in the early 1990s with the Americans leaving the Philippines, military bases left behind or demolished.


G.R. Tamayo, February 2020


In short, the real computing history of US (and the world) was made, written, and decided here in the Philippines, with me. I chose Steve Jobs. I made Bill Gates, bettering his profile more and more. I chose Sergey Brin and Larry Page for Google as a sign of peace between the US and Russia, and I decided for a Mark Zuckerberg Chairman-CEO profile for Facebook. 

Too many ownerships for me in tech that they became envious and greedy, wanted my ownerships for themselves or decided to move on without me. That is, they asserted to other player groups my decisions or timetable for them to own the tech giants, but without me? What kind is that?! In late 1980s, however, they reminded me of Zuckerberg and Facebook, implying a chance for me to "officially co-found" Facebook. 

I remember this encode.su website and GUI (1970s), as the names Shelwien, David Scott, Bulat Ziganshin, dnd, Matt Mahoney, Michael Maniscalco, Jyrki Alakuijala. Some of them would come to me in the Philippines in the 80s...if it was really them. By early 1990s I was forgetting already. In the mid 2000s I was strongly remembering again. If I hear my voice in the bands "official" recordings of Bread, Nirvana, America, Queen, Scorpions etc, I then strongly believe these computer science memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment